Thursday 29 December 2011

Cell need Xmas dinner too you know

 Is it a Christmas tree?  Is it a pile of sick from eating too many festive sweets?  No it's a myelinated culture showing green axons and red myelin sheaths!

So I’ve been working quite hard over Christmas. In November/ December I was concentrating on improving our cell culture methods and consistency. The draw back to this was that I now have tons of cells to come in and feed over the xmas/New Year break. Luckily they didn’t require the 5 course belly-busting food extravaganza, washed down with various beverages that I was treated to.

It’s actually been quite good coming in to work when its quiet and has allowed me to catch up on lots of little jobs that have been needing done for a while.

So where am I at with my studies? Well the myelinating cultures that I blogged about way back in June are now finally behaving themselves (touch wood), the immunocytochemistry has been optimised and the image quantification has been developed (almost). So hopefully in the new year I’ll be able to start collecting some solid data to characterise the model and its response to oxygen and glucose deprivation. It feels like its taken a long time to get to this point but hopefully everything will fall into place shortly and with other projects in the planning stage, along with several public engagement things going on, its going to be a busy 2012.

New Years Resolution: Work Harder, Play Harder.

P.S. I’m doing bright club again on Wednesday 4th January at the Stand Comedy store. Tickets here shortly http://www.thestand.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment